ARB 0.11% $38.03 arb corporation limited.

Ann: Appendix 4E and Annual Report, page-28

1. 4,241 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 455
    Alas, all you have described is why investing is part science and part art. Sure. No disagreements there.

"Not just that, but when we compare the cash earnings yield for ARB with, say, the 10-year government bond yield, we are effectively comparing something with a growing income stream (hence, increasing cash earnings yield) with something that merely has a fixed income stream."

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. This is why I think in terms of a prospective return.

If we are talking about a business which I deem not to have a clear ability to invest its retained earnings within a strong moat, then I will simply assume my prospective "yield" is a proxy for prospective "return". This of course requires some manipulation for all sorts of things, including (but not limited to) estimated "earnings power" today and in the near future, adjustments where FCF are materially different from reported profits, adjustments for capital structure (which is why [1-T].EBIT/EV is my preference), adjustments to allow surplus capital to be realistically gauged (and thus achieve a sensible EV), etc etc.

If I believe a business has a good ability to invest within its moat (here's looking at you ARB), then my prospective return will be informed by current dividend yield (informed by current "earnings power" and payour ratio), + prospective growth rate (informed by prospective returns-on-capital and earnings retention rate). But the growth rate needs to be reined in to ensure not too much of the value is contingent on earnings occuring 30 years out. In other words, a revised lower long term growth rate will, in all likelihood be much more realistic than what pro-forma numbers will indicate (in which case a higher payout ratio may soften the blow, if appropriate).

So yes, as you say, definitely not a "ready reckoner", and requiring much in the way of judgement and assumption.

Unfortunately no amount of wishing, on my part, will change the truth about what delivers value. ;-)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ARB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$38.03
Change
0.040(0.11%)
Mkt cap ! $3.131B
Open High Low Value Volume
$37.99 $38.14 $37.33 $11.43M 301.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 482 $38.02

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$38.10 515 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ARB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.