HLI 1.32% $3.84 helia group limited

First up, the biggest cause is timing. You don't get franking...

1. 1,172 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1046
    First up, the biggest cause is timing. You don't get franking credits until you pay your tax bill. So you can earn your profit, record your tax expense and liability (this isn't a choice, you must record the known expense and liability or your won't pass audit), and still have the cash sitting there until May 2024 when it's due (I don't know HLI's due date, but most Aus company taxes are May 15). If you declare a dividend in March, unless you pay your tax early, you do not have the franking credits to distribute...

They're stating AASB17, which is the Insurance Contracts accounting standard. It's not one I'm familiar with, but my assumption is that there is a difference between the accounting treatment and the tax treatment. It's actually quite common. Your profit for accounting purposes is X, but then you have additions and subtractions to get to your taxable income of Y. You pay tax based on that. It might be that the accounting income is recognised differently, or an expense is non-deductible, or any number of things.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add HLI (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.84
Change
0.050(1.32%)
Mkt cap ! $1.114B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.86 $3.87 $3.81 $2.222M 580.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1058 $3.83

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.84 2117 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 04/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
HLI (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.