FFX 0.00% 20.0¢ firefinch limited

Just on Tiger Resources, which was a copper mining company in...

1. 8,885 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8149
    Just on Tiger Resources, which was a copper mining company in the DRC. If the new Doc was there it was a huge learning experience. The company was doing very well, good resource seemed well managed, started making cash with the development rapidly progressing.

It all went astray when the Govt company that held 40% interest (IIRC) wanted to sell for cash very quickly. At the time in the DRC there was no choice for the company to do anything but borrow way too much to pay out the govt.
    Almost straight away after paying the govt and being 100% owned by Tiger, like magic, a lot of things started to go wrong with the mine and plant. There was a mysterious leak in some of the heap lease ponds, or tailings dam etc, that needed lots of downtime and repairs, just when the copper price was falling. Eventually the debt killed the company.

I was invested in Tiger from time to time, traded it a few times. It was an important lesson about doing business in the DRC at the time. Obviously the right palms were not greased.

I would suggest anyone that was in management or a director from TGS would be a lot tougher and more alert to Africa because of the experience. IMHO definitely NOT a red flag.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FFX (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.