CGB 0.00% 2.1¢ cann global limited

Ann: Approval of Environmental Authority for the MDL Work Program, page-112

1. 11,400 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 565
    The final mining license is different and far more stringent than an MDL approval. I've had several clients get MDL approvals within months because it's only a small program/the impacts are relatively low.

I think QBL double whammy was actually moreso their proximity to a community which always means the government will take additional looks and perhaps their own efforts/contractors hired for this weren't on top of it all (not sure about this one because sometimes hindsight is 20/20 but in the moment you're trying to do everything right).

Price of bauxite is normally based on a standard alumina % and reactive silica % which relates to major bauxite deposits worldwide (weipa being one of them). The alumina % of south J is lower than this index and the reactive silica is higher. Both of these would mean they will get paid a discount to the spot market price or it may even be that only certain refineries can use the dirt at all.

Traditional Bayer process refineries heat and pressurise a mixture of the bauxite with caustic soda to extract the alumina. This is the most expensive process in the entire plant and the lower the alumina % and the higher the reactive silica makes this process more and more economically challenging for the refinery. At Queensland Alumina (in gladstone) they use 2 tonnes of weipa bauxite to get 1 tonne of alumina. If they were going to use South J bauxite, they would need 3.5-4 tonnes of bauxite for every 1 tonne of alumina. This is a huge increase in costs and a large decrease in productivity.

I like your optimism but for the reasons explained above I don't see it being as easy as you might expect to find a buyer. Bauxite/Alumina is one of the more intense processes worldwide and the feedstock quality requirement dictates so much of the economics.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CGB (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.