AKG 0.00% 17.0¢ academies australasia group limited

Re the Benchmark College acquisition, my understanding is that...

1. 463 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 106
    Re the Benchmark College acquisition, my understanding is that AKG did actually buy an initial controlling 51% interest back in 2011. Subsequently they have been able to move to 100% and ousted the former owners from management.

I agree 'RedPill' that Benchmark has proved to be a poor acquisition and has not delivered the return expected. But I give AKG credit for owning up to this underperformance and getting on with improving the business.

Being an investor in a couple of companies on the SGX I note that it is common practice for companies in Asia to have investments in associates where there is a non-controlling interest purchased. Maybe not ideal, but it does give AKG a foot in the door and a way of selling their courses with the associate's student body. Perhaps this is what AKG has in mind with the Astin College investment.

I expect a flat 1H14 result on the evidence of the Chairman's statement re appointing more senior executives coming at a cost. Nonetheless, looking ahead AKG is guiding for the Vostro acquisition to add 1.2 cps to earnings in FY14, and they still have > $3m in the kitty from the exit of the Fasteners business. $A weakness a bonus.

Return on equity is my litmus test, and I see it is rising!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.