CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 274 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 89
    There could be a silver lining to this.
    If the merger does not go ahead, ANZ are sitting on $3.5B of capital that they no longer need - they may choose to return this to whence it came, i.e. shareholders by way of off-market buy-back.
    A possible scenario is ANZ share price is say $25 so the buy-back is done at $21.50 (14% discount) & say a capital component of $4 & fully franked dividend component of $17.50 with attached imputation credits of $7.50 giving total proceeds of $29 for zero percent taxpayers (pension funds, etc.).
    ANZ could buy-back 160M share on this basis to return the capital which would effectively release $1.2B in otherwise inaccessible tax credit value to ANZ shareholders.
    If government regulatory authorities are going to block the merger may as well make them pay for their actions. I know this may be considered a self-defeating proposition but I am wearing my ANZ shareholder hat as opposed to my Australian taxpayer hat.
    The above figures are just ballpark potential numbers based more on providing nice round outcomes rather than a detailed estimation of capital/dividend components, etc. but the numbers are not unreasonable in comparison to previous off-market buy-backs e.g. CBA (the franked div component is a little bit high maybe).
    Potentially releasing $1.2B to ANZ shareholders from the coffers of the ATO is not something I am averse to - it may also push regulators to more fully consider the ramifications of their decisions (if there is any doubt I do not agree with the ACCC decision but that is just my personal opinion).
    What do others think - potential silver lining or am I just tilting at windmills?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ANZ (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$31.59
Change
-0.230(0.72%)
Mkt cap ! $94.08B
Open High Low Value Volume
$31.81 $31.85 $31.46 $174.0M 5.641M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 500 $31.55

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$31.60 12719 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/10/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ANZ (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.