VOC 0.00% $5.49 vocus group limited

Ann: Becoming a substantial holder from MQG, page-15

1. 6,633 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 615
    I think TPG mobile could be an alternative to the NBN, but i dont think its a threat to the NBN, TPG mobile will only be in high density areas, where they have lots of customers within range of their towers, so likely just inner city at least until its profitable.

I still see it as very risky for TPG, they are carrying $110m per year of Amortization for the spectrum, they need $9 per month from 1m customers just to cover that cost, not even considering depreciation on the other $600m rollout costs and operating expenses like electricity.

In the long run, im not sure if TPG's overall costs will be lower than MVNO's like Amaysim pay.

Optus and Telstra have (had) data only plans, but AFAIK, its a small part of the sector, its not competition for full service plans. It will be a threat for other companies data only plans in inner-city areas, so it is a niche, and the other Telcos could respond by making their data-only plans more competitive and leaving full service plans where they are.

Because TPG are only targeting a niche demographically and geographically, i dont see it as a 'threat' to NBNCo, but it might be a competitor in a niche.

Fibre, and even copper has a lot lower overheads than wireless, and NBNCo operates on a larger scale, so they could choose to compete with TPG Mobile on price, and introduce plans aimed at that niche if it wanted to.

NBNCo has a lot of political baggage weighing it down, its why its so expensive, but it also means politcians will protect its revenue, like they introduced the broadband tax in response to 'cherry picking' by TPG FTTB (and others).

So i think TPG Mobile might end up like TPG FTTB, it wont reach its initial vision.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VOC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.