SGH 0.00% 54.5¢ slater & gordon limited

People from Guernsey are affectionately known as 'donkeys'...

1. 840 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    People from Guernsey are affectionately known as 'donkeys' which, if you clapped eyes on some of them you'd think was quite flattering. They were known to be very stubborn and to have exceptionally long ears. It was occasionally possible to converse with one or more of them when paying occasional visits to the smaller isle for sporting purposes (soccer, rugby, cricket and educating some of the less offensive Guernsey ladies in the finer points of romance in the sand) but most people from Guernsey went straight into institutions on leaving school in their late twenties or early thirties. That's the reason there were so many house available to offer to more normal people from outside the island. If my memory serves correctly, some of the worst examples were shipped to Australia in secure containers and a number (so it is rumoured) ended up making quite a good recovery. One case is said to have involved a Guernsey bloke going on after escaping from his container to successfully trade (predominantly short in) the markets, based on a good appreciation of the underlying facts of any case he chose to study and a nose for business that would have shown many a seasoned pro in a poor light.

I don't believe it personally.

I'll answer the other questions another time. I need to rest my addled brain. I think the train might be about to leave the station re JOG. I'm probably wrong. Pus ca change.

Croasian - I don't believe there was fraud in Quindell after KPMG were appointed auditors in 2012/13. IMO the numbers were made up until about the end of 2012, the price rocketed, the inflated paper was used to buy up business after business - you know the rest. PwC fond evidence of overstatement in the 2 years they looked at in depth, but not fraud. There was way too much optimism about NIHL claims and any belief that QPP's PSD was one big business at the time SGH pitched up was a fallacy. It was a loose amalgamation of any number of different businesses all dealing with some aspect of PI claims, cobbled together as one. Employees and former owners alike were all so demoralised by the time SGH took the reins that it would have taken people a hundred times more skilled than SGH's people sent over to the UK by Grech to deal with the integration. Grech himself kept well out of the way for the first 6 months at least, when he should at least have been over-seeing such a big and important integration - setting the example to people who numbered twice those in the AU business. I think he was totally out of his depth but had seen the merger of the two businesses, with all the scope it had for 'losing' big numbers in, as essential for reasons previously discussed. He didn't even (apparently) know what the real numbers were. Quoi??

It shouldn't be forgotten the UK legislative changes, the negative media coverage the whole thing got and SGH's senior people's general incompetence all did their bit in crashing the car.

All this has been discussed ad nauseum before. All that's different now is that the creep SWC has slunk away in cowardly fashion - as most knew he would. People like him always do.

No point in carrying on - the situation is as it is.

Pembrokeshire is a beautiful 'national park type part of South Wales (about the only thing pleasant about it - the best thing ever to come out of Wales was an empty bus). Worse even than Guernsey. Wait a minute................

Good luck Fish - you come across as a good egg. You definitely escaped in time......................

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SGH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.