NWH 0.00% $3.56 nrw holdings limited

Ann: Becoming a substantial holder, page-7

1. 18,583 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3887
    Hmmmm Phil ...
    Now I think you are right and we have been seeing the long/short Vinva fund in operation.
    Before I thought it was illegal to do both in the same company ( otherwise I could lend myself some of my own shares whenever the price is down trending and actively make money instead of just battening the hatches ).
    .......But it appears you are not only allowed to borrow your own shares to short, it’s a common practice called ‘shorting against the box’
    https://www.thestreet.com/story/768363/1/dear-dagen-can-i-short-stocks-i-already-own.html

(Yet here’s a different article where it suggests having long/short equity means you buy long into one company and choose a different one to short; https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/long-shortequity.asp)

If you have a handle on quantitive trading - (and from Bloomberg below it seems Vinva’s Morry Waked has one of the best bandles on it, plus a huge amount of shares then running the prices up and down must be as easy as playing scales is for an accomplished musician ....

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=33800187&privcapId=133908696&previousCapId=133908696&previousTitle=Vinva Investment Management
    “Mr. Morry Waked serves as a Managing Director and Head of Equity Investments at Vinva Investment Management.
    Previously, Mr. Waked served as the Chief Investment Officer and Co-Head of Global Active Equities at BlackRock Asset Management Australia Limited and Barclays Global Investors Australia Limited.
    Mr. Waked had joined BGI in 1997 as the Head of Australian Equities with a mandate to develop an active Australian equity business for BGI in Australia in long-only and long-short strategies.
    He put together a successful Australian equity team with an investment process that delivered outperformance in 11 out of 12 years and which had active Australian equity client assets of over $15bn. In 2007, he was given the dual role of Chief Executive Officer and Chief Investment Officer for BGI’s overall Australian business which had $50bn in assets for Australian and New Zealand clients.
    In January 2009, Mr. Waked was appointed Global Chief Investment Officer for BGI’s Global Active Equity Business which had client assets of over USD100bn.
    Prior to joining BGI, he was the Head of Quantitative Research at Rothschild Asset Management. He started in the industry at Legal & General in the Actuarial Research Division after they had put him through a four year university scholarship. He is an Associate of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia. Mr. Waked holds a Bachelor of Economics and a Master of Economics (majoring in Actuarial Science and Statistics), both from Macquarie University.”

Maybe the reason Vinva has declared its position is because it’s going to go long now?

Normally I don’t mind being ignorant but I woukd really, really appreciate other’s opinions .

Cheers
    Last edited by sabine: 02/03/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NWH (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.