SVL 3.19% 9.1¢ silver mines limited

Hi Fernit, With the utmost respect, I’d like to add comment to...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 1,881 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 963
    Hi Fernit,

With the utmost respect, I’d like to add comment to your post………….

Connecting to the grid is usually the cheapest and most stable option hence why it was their likely first option.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> that may well be the case. However, the initial infrastructure cost for power lines and poles, is substantial. In addition to costs incurred to get power to site is also the cost of assets at site i.e. Substations, transformers and switchgear etc. Also this initial infrastructure needs to be built to a standard and capacity the supply the mining venture at 100% mining output. That may well be many years after the initial earthmoving has commenced and well before all production machinery is in full operation.

Diesel generators have the issue of higher fuel and maintenance costs and there are environmental issues for local fuel spills and I'm sure wider climate issues are looked at in any EIS today.
    >>>>>>>>>>> the cost of gas vs diesel fuelled generators is roughly the same. Due to the simpler and slower moving parts of a diesel generator compared to gas, maintenance on diesel is generally easier and less expensive.

As far as storage is concerned, whether in ground or above tank supply, no discernible issues with either, given installed to high eco standard. With a multitude of other machinery on site powered by diesel, it would make sense to have one major supply source for all, rather than have a separate supply for each fuel.

Emission controls and noise attenuation on current generators is a vast improvement on generators of the past. No issues here. Electrical “grid” power supply to the mine will be otherwise created from fossil fuel, so emissions cannot be totally avoided!

Natural gas could be a better option than diesel.
    >>>>>>> maybe long term but its petty much diesel over gas from my estimation.
    In comparing a natural gas powered generator, the diesel generator is far more efficient for several reasons such as:

Diesel engines used today are far improved versions of older models that were extremely noisy and took a lot more time to maintain.

Diesel engines are more heavy duty and dependable.

Another advantage diesel has over natural gas engines is that they do not use spark plugs or wires; helping on repair and maintenance savings.

The life expectancy of a natural gas engine is not as long as that of a diesel equivalent.

Being less flammable than other types of fuels, diesel generators score high on being safer to use. They don’t use spark plugs or wires, which eliminates the chance of a spark causing a fire.

Solar would have a higher set-up cost but over the long term could be effective, but of course, needs batteries for backup and probably generators for backup after that for long periods of low sun - no idea how the region of the mine fares for this option.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> again, the cost of the amount of solar required and associated infrastructure would be substantial. Yes, the facility could be expanded as needs arise on the developing mine site, but as you say. No sunlight = No power!

The mine site has a current projected life of 16yr and I am sure that the resource will be expanded over time. Solar has a lifespan of 10-13 years – where to for power then?

I could go on, but the point is lots of modelling is needed as no clear solution for what is best and these I'm sure are the things the company is weighing up for the pros and cons of each approach. The lowest environmental impact would probably be the key consideration as takes off the table the local NIMBYs rallying around it for a fight even though I'm sure they'll find something to complain about.
    >>>>>>>>>>> For my money, a combination of diesel generation with battery supply is the logical answer that achieves all mining, social, economic and safety needs.

The system is based on a large battery that can be charged by generator(s) in order to supply power more responsively, depending on power demand. This significantly cuts down on generator running time, which reduces fuel consumption and emissions produced by generators. Providing a more economical and sustainable power solution for full scale mining.

The intelligent system control can monitor the power requirement, manage the charging and discharging of batteries, and control the generator. An automated, systematic solution that can be pre-programmed to provide silent emission-free power when required, or can be left to its own intelligent devices, managing mine power supply as it sees fit.

The generation / storage system would be optimised to reduce generator run time which decreases the fuel consumption and noise on site, helping you save on both emissions and on costs.

Additionally, they are capable of aiding in the regulation of both frequency and voltage within the system. This supports requirements for local emissions regulations which adds to the mines social responsibility image and decarbonisation efforts.

With variable loads on site, this battery helps improve reliability and energy efficiency, without any required capex. These batteries are driven by data giving full transparency for complete energy optimisation.
    (see example of a 500kVA battery below)

The combination gen/battery facility would have these (and other) benefits.

Scalable – increase output as demanded by mine power requirements during mine lifetime.

Fast deployment and commissioning – no landowner consent issues re access and tower/pole construction. Required power to site, for initial needs, within 6-12 months (easy!)

Availability – a suitably sized generator and battery system for initial needs could be sourced within Australia, now.

Minimal environmental impact – all equipment and ancillary machinery trucked in with little to no impact on flora or fauna.

Personally, I really can’t see what the issue is!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SVL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.