BRL 0.63% 80.0¢ bathurst resources limited.

That is what they "say" but that is definitely not what they are...

1. 200 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 85
    That is what they "say" but that is definitely not what they are "doing".  Last Thursday, they bought 750 k out of 1.1 million shares.  Yesterday, it was 800+k out of 1.2 million shares.  If being the only bid is not being aggressive, I don't know what you call aggressive.

What I will grant you is that they are not exercising their right to buy at higher prices, at least so far.  In effect, they buy only at the bid, hoping that someone else will take the price higher (in which case they can raise their bid to the now higher price).  But this is very different from what they were doing for the last several weeks, when they barely bothered to buy any more than 250 k shares, if at all.  In the next few days, they will be able to buy at 14+ cents.  Let's see if they bite...that will tell you if they are really being aggressive or not.

My read: That sale of 100 million shares was a shock to them.  Presumably they are feeling pressure from their other Singapore owners to do something about their share price...after all, those Singapore funds also need to mark to market their BRL holdings.  BRL gets criticized a lot on this board for dragging their feet on buybacks.  As Viney alluded to, they are getting a lot more cash flow now than presumably their capital expenditure is done.  And the met coal price is US$20+ more than the price they claimed was "super high prices" (i.e.US$180).  The delay in the court case also gave them breathing space to accumulate ever more cash.  The huge rally of Stanmore Coal's share price must be jarring to their image.  

The fact that they are predictably way behind their 70+ million share buyback goal allows them to claim that they are not being aggressive....that this was all announced already and that the market knew about it. 

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BRL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.