ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 1,068 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 165
    Goes without saying, but for every buyer there's a seller which is why i generally don't think it's worth paying much attention to what institutional shareholders are doing.

I think the value of Lanyon being the dominant shareholder on the register is the focus on returning cash to shareholders. Even when GCS profits were very strong during the 2012-2013 peak of the mining boom days, they were only paying out 20% of earnings as dividends because they were over-leveraged and recklessly expanding their PPE base. Lanyon came onto the register in late 2016, and the 1HFY17 results presentation was the first time GCS committed to paying out 40% of NPAT as dividends - i don't think that's a complete coincidence.

I think there's the potential for that 40% payout ratio to be further improved in FY19 as the operating & finance (hire-purchase) lease liabilities continue to roll off from the legacy of the boom years. Per the FY16 annual report, in FY17 they had to pay $6.05m operating lease commitments and $15.08 finance commitments; i expect that to reduce a little in FY18, and then fall significantly into FY19 as the hire-purchase debt is typically 5-year debt and they stopped buying PPE with hire-purchase debt in late FY13, meaning the repayment schedule should fall significantly by FY19.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GCS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.