CLH 0.00% 6.8¢ collection house limited

Ann: CLH Portfolio Enhancement Programme - 3rd Balbec Transaction, page-3

1. 166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 116
    I am not so sure you are assessing the info around their return on this debt correctly.
    Assuming you need to get a return of 40cents in the $. The 40c could be split.
    i.e. cost to acquire debt 10c / cost to collect 10c / cost in interest/funding 10c (maybe too high these days) / profit 10c+

I sold 100's of millions of Telco debt over 25yrs and getting 10cents in the $ was a solid outcome depending on many factors.
    This ranged from debt that had never received a payment (i.e. possible fraud e.g. 1.5 cents in the $) to debt that would over time pay in full but be too expensive to manage in house past a certain point.
    I am also well aware of current sales of millions in other utilities that are no where near 12cents in the $.

Therefore obtaining 20cents on debt that is already under a payment arrangement and has proven payments at the point in the repayment cycle seems prudent.
    How have you counted this prior repayment return (as per cents in the $$) before any Balbec transaction.

Therefore do not disagree that they "may" have to collect 40cents in the $ to be profitable but if they are selling debt that has already paid 20cents back and getting another 20 cents up front now to invest in better quality debt short term - I think they are being smart.
    Surely no one believes they are just going to give away their margin - it has to be a win win for both sides relevant to cost of capital and who they can get funding from.
    It is all about cost of money and buying new debt that has a higher return is certainly part of how CLH win long term as they build their debt purchased portfolio. The more debt the more they also come across the same individual/entity creating economies of scale etc etc.
    A big negative surrounding CLH seems to be where they get their funding from and the issue of it drying up in a downturn.
    Their approach with Balbec seems to be considered a negative - however I am just not sure why - is it supposedly giving away the crown jewels (i.e. payment arrangements) or just smart use of funding.
    For now .....and I have plenty riding on it - I say smart use of a funding source - especially if both parties are happy with outcome as they infer in commentary and this is the 3rd transaction. Had plenty of time to say process does not work.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CLH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.