WES 0.00% $71.38 wesfarmers limited

I agree with this columnist that this deal is a win-win for...

1. 486 Posts.
    I agree with this columnist that this deal is a win-win for Coles and FoodWorks:

BRANDISH
    by Rob Lake

Why FoodWorks' Coles buy is a win-win

The announcement that FoodWorks will take over 53 Coles grocery and liquor stores is a win for both.

For Coles it represents an opportunity to concentrate on larger stores that will fit their future model more consistently. The average size of a Coles store rises with this announcement as does the average FoodWorks.

Under John Fletcher, Coles had embarked on an ill advised exercise re-badging Bi-Lo stores as Coles. Doing so killed a viable brand that had a legitimate market niche. It has been widely recognised in the industry as a disastrous move. This latest announcement represents the tidying up of many of the old Bi-Lo stores, moving them to a more appropriate portfolio.

For FoodWorks, it broadens their network with a network of stores of a scale that suits their offer very nicely. The last few years has seen FoodWorks emerge as a vibrant brand that sits comfortably in local communities.

While the deal is subject to ACCC approval, it is difficult to imagine any objection to a move that marginally increases competition.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WES (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$71.38
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $80.95B
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 1591 $74.94

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$67.82 2217 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 09.44am 30/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WES (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.