VUK 0.00% $4.22 virgin money uk plc

Admittedly, I've struggled to reconcile this reported underlying...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 1,496 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1358

Admittedly, I've struggled to reconcile this reported underlying post-tax RoTE figure of 10.4% to any earnings figures disclosed in the accounts?

@Jausty1919

So have I, indeed, but I think I’ve finally got it. Here it goes:

Underlying RoTE = [Underlying Profit After Tax]/[Tangible Equity minus AT1 Capital]

where [Underlying Profit After Tax] is calculated from [Underlying Profit Before Tax] adjusted by the Normalised Tax Rate of 19% (corresponding to the UK flat Corporate Tax Rate) minus AT1 Distributions (grossed up at the Normalised Tax Rate).

So, we have the following:

Underlying Profit Before Tax (annualised) = 286.0m*2 = 572.0m GBP

Normalised Tax = 19%*572m = 108.7m GBP

AT1 Distributions (annualised + grossed up @ 19%) = 12m*2/(1-19%) = 29.6m GBP

Underlying Profit After Tax = 572.0m-108.7m-29.6m= 433.7m GBP

Total Equity = 5,358.0m GBP

Intangibles = 495.0m GBP

AT1 Capital = 697.0m GBP

Tangible Equity minus AT1 Capital = 5,358.0m-495.0m-697.0m = 4,166.0m GBP

Therefore:

Underlying RoTE = 433.7m/4,166.0m = 10.4%

In particular, it is not necessary to adjust for Minority Interests, because the adjustments would have to be made both at the numerator and at the denominator, hence cancelling each other out; in other words, the percentage return is independent of minority interests, which makes conceptually sense (thus, the pre-tax return calculation in my previous post was incorrect).

In any event, the statutory RoTE is aimed at >12% from FY22, and based on my observation of management's performance to date (on items within their control), I rate this as a reasonable target to model for the longer term return on our tangible equity

I agree with you, provided that:

a) The realisation of synergies and cost savings proceeds broadly according to plan

b) NIM does not compress too much from its current levels, as a consequence of the ongoing tightening in mortgage rates

c) Current provisions for bad loans, PPI settlements, etc. are broadly reflective of future realised losses

Of course, a successful implementation of a) could potentially largely compensate for sub-par outcomes in b) and c).

Cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VUK (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.