WBT 2.55% $2.29 weebit nano ltd

Intel are not selling/promoting 3DxPoint as NAND even if their...

1. 12,259 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3833
    Intel are not selling/promoting 3DxPoint as NAND even if their demos seem to incorporate it according to that article which I don't think reveals much about their technology.

It is a truly resistive memory they are promoting IMO. That's what makes me think they have nothing at all. Well not yet any way because Weebit ain't ready yet. Doesn't stop them marketing the product and setting the market up for it.

The article I put up in my previous post is guessing but they say this about 3DxPoint

The presenter was Greg Atwood, a senior fellow at Micron Technology, and XPoint points made in his slide deck include:
    • Cross-point could replace 3D 16-64 stack NAND when that tech runs out
    • Cross-point can scale by adding levels
    • Cross-Point uses Resistive RAM (RRAM) memory cells
    • There are multiple new memory concepts; FeRAM, PCM, CBRAM, Polymer FeRAM, MRAM, MOx-RAM, Polymer RRAM, CNT, Molecular
    • PCM is the most mature
    • Many of the RRAMs share similar attributes with PCM
    They just don't tell us how those cells work.

The article goes on to say

Atwood went on to say that 3D Cross-point memory must be multi-level cell capable (2 - 3 bits/cell). Yesterday's announcement was of a 1-bit device. He suggests the memory device could use STTRAM, RRAM, CBRAM or PCM.

So these guys don't actually know how it works, it could be resistive RRAM or any of the other forms.

Note however they are talking either 2-3bits per cell or 1 bit per cell. Tour has told us our porous silicone oxide can do 9 bits/cell.

The article also goes on to say

He said Micron had strategic investments in RRAM, Spin Torque RAM (STTRAM) and other technologies, and showed an image of a 27nm RRAM cell.

and

RERAM Forum Director, thinks this image is "from the Micron/Sony 27nm 16Gb ‘RRAM’ (CBRAM) chip"

Professor Tour is talking about 5nm cells.

I think this 3DxPoint memory is just smoke and mirrors until I see the originating patents (can anyone find them please). Intel might still come knocking at Weebit's door to turn their sophisticated promotional video into reality.

Eshmun

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WBT (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.