GW1 0.00% 5.1¢ greenwing resources ltd

re: Ann: December 2011 Quarterly Report of Ac... This article...

1. 192 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    re: Ann: December 2011 Quarterly Report of Ac... This article not so positive

Aid for Fossey mine unlikely

BY CARLY DOLAN

12 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM

A RESCUE package for the North-West's Fossey underground mine and Hellyer processing facility seems unlikely, with the state government saying that the best it can do to help redundant workers and those facing losing their jobs is ``continue diversifying the local economy to include a wide range of industries''.
    Twenty-five Mancala employees, who were contracted by Bass Metals to work at the Fossey mine and Hellyer processing facility, were made redundant on Tuesday.

The future of the 100-odd remaining jobs remains uncertain as Bass Metals struggles through its financial difficulties.

The company's managing director, Mike Rosenstreich, said it would be known in April or May whether the entire operation would have to shut down.

Devonport's John White, 39, was due to start a block of night shifts operating machines at the mine on Thursday but received a phone call on Tuesday morning and was told that he had been made redundant.

``I was thinking, forestry got government help, others have had government help, so why hasn't Bass Metals been to the government? There's potentially a hundred and something jobs going and if that's the case, why aren't we getting any help?''

Parliamentary secretary for the North-West economy Brenton Best said the state government was supporting mining investment in Tasmania to attract new mines and jobs.

``Obviously governments have very little control over global market forces like fluctuating metal prices and changing currency values, which causes some mining operations and jobs to come and go,'' he said.

``As well as new skilling opportunities, the best thing the government can do to support Mr White and other workers is continue diversifying the local economy to include a wide range of industries.''

Mr White said he was ``in shock'' after losing his job.

``I've got a family here to support. I've got a six-month-old and a daughter who I've just started in grade 7 at a private school, and my partner's got another one who's in grade 8 this year.''

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GW1 (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
5.1¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $10.04M
Open High Low Value Volume
5.0¢ 5.1¢ 5.0¢ $3.271K 64.53K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 400000 5.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
5.4¢ 130000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 13.47pm 16/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
GW1 (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.