AGO 0.00% 4.5¢ atlas iron limited

Not exactly the cash generation we were wishing for. My key...

1. 3,046 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1821
    Not exactly the cash generation we were wishing for. My key takeaways:

1. The discount to the benchmark index appears to be in the vicinity of 40% after removing hedge impacts - no real surprises here.

2. Sales were well below my expectation. There’s 200kt sitting at the port due to port availability issues late in Dec. I don’t have a problem with this as it is cyclone season, and this will happen at this time of year, it will liquidate this quarter given port is not (usually) a bottleneck. Mt Webber production was about 250kt below my expectations as they continue to try and ramp up to 9mtpa (crushing 2mtpa at Mt Dove) – this was disappointing.

3. Costs were $4/t higher than I expected. $2/t was higher shipping rates, the rest was driven by lower volumes resulting in less fixed cost dilution – they’re going to have to tighten the belt on overheads now that production has dropped from around 14mtpa to 9mtpa – there’s less tonnage to wear the overheads. I expect there were costs associated with demobilisation of equipment following the cessation of activity at Abydos, this will be one off.

4. Lump production was 50%, probably all from Webber – good signs.

5. They’ve hedged for the remainder of the financial year (not just the quarter) and it is 0.3mt at fixed price to atlas of $67/wmt ($10/t margin - fixed) and 0.9mt over US$65/t (62%fe) benchmark – a lot more exposed to IO price now as lower % hedged than usual.

Whilst overall a disappointing result, i think the sell off is overdone, good opportunity to top up. This quarter will see higher benchmark prices, a tightening of the discount, the liquidation of the built up stock at port and hopefully Webber production running at 9mtpa run rate and costs back down to $56/t (giving margins >$10/t). Wouldn’t be surprised with $25m+, but obviously depending on IO price holding up as it is.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.