SKT 0.83% $2.42 sky network television limited.

This link is not behind a paywall i don't...

1. 604 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 123
    This link is not behind a paywall i don't think.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12317578

Local derbie matches will keep live rugby going for a bit. If Sky can keep enough content on the agenda then they don't have to go down the messy path of issuing refunds to customers and recouping some of the cost from the content owners.

Looks like there will be an announcement by NZ Rugby by the end of the week to explain how these matches will go.

Then we wait and see if this calm down and Super Rugby is able to finish the season. That seems unlikely right now, but not imposible.

Meanwhile, Australian Rugby is in a tatters. They were struggling as it was - not coronavirus has bankrupted them from what I can see. They have had to go to the government and ask for a bailout. Discussions with broadcasters for the next 5 year deal have been put on ice.

They already pissed Foxtel off by going to market and engaging with Optus. I think Foxtel were at the point of walking away from negotiations anyway - so now that talks are definitely off for now it does not bode well for Australian Rugby in terms of being able to negotiate a great deal!

So you see guys, it's not all bad for NZ Rugby and Sky right now! At least NZ Rugby have an engaged partner with Sky TV who are oulling out all the stops to make the best of a really bad situation.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SKT (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.