ADG 14.3% 0.4¢ adelong gold limited

Ann: Drilling Scheduled to Finalise Scoping Study at Adelong, page-72

1. 1,656 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 670
    An interesting historic account of some underground works at the Caledonian mine (might be somewhere in the area of DDD's next drilling campaign). The below extract is from the Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post, Tue 29th May 1900....

THE CALEDONIAN

The Caledonian Mine, the infancy of which dates back to the early opening period of the Adelong goldfield, has, as far as the available returns go, proved itself a good concern.

The first statistics in our possession show that in 1861, 119½ tons of ore were treated, yielding 418oz 15dwt 16gr of gold; but it is asserted that other crushings were formerly had, which gave an equally good result. At that time only small areas of ground were allowed to be held, so that extensive operations did not obtain unless a number of claim-holders amalgamated their holdings.

In the two successive years, 1862 and '63, a total of 296 tons were subjected to ordinary battery treatment, from which 996oz 15dwt 6gr of gold was extracted. Towards the close of 1863 the claim was abandoned, the owners being lured away by other "rushes," and it lay idle until 1874, when it was taken up again.

Fitful work was carried on for a number of years until in 1876, when Mr. James Hodgson, who occupied the north end, relinquished his interest in the mine. In 1878operations were re-commenced, and in 1879 the best return for the year was from a parcel of 77½ tons—143oz 4dwt.

Small crushings were taken out at intervals up to 1882, the more notable of which was 37 tons for 79oz. The total quantity treated [we have only that put through the Reefer Battery, being comparatively free milling ore, the pyritous ore being sent away for treatment by special process] up to and including that year was 706 tons for 1680oz 5dwt 12gr.

The mineralized stone is not included in this return, but being the richer portion of the ore blocked out must materially enhance the total gold product from the mine. The mine eventually fell into the hands of a local company who procured the necessary machinery to work it efficiently, put the underground workings in safe condition, and started operations in real earnest. They persevered, under disadvantages which many another small company would have become disheartened, for three years, during which time £2859 13s 1d was expended, while the committee of management found their finances in such a satisfactory state as to be able to declare a dividend of £10 per share. The mine was then carried to deeper depths, the drives extended, and altogether a more systematic course of development undertaken.

When the committee met on the 10th inst. they had a pleasant duty to perform. The mine had fulfilled the most sanguine expectations of both committee and shareholders; it had been a most successful twelve months, notwithstanding that the shaft, which was at the commencement, 350ft, had, under the capable management of Mr John Allen, been sunk to 470ft, the winze deepened from the350ft to 410ft level, drives extended, north and south at the 41ft level, and further distances of 162ft south and 68ft north at the 350ft level, 43ft south at the 470ft level, and an intermediate drive north of 12ft, besides 250 fathoms of stoping. The reef still shows strong in the bottom of the mine, where it ranges from 10in to 15in in thickness. The gold product for the last year was1227oz, of the value of £4927, from 515 tons of stone.

The expenses came to £2591. £129 7s 8d was refunded to the Prospecting Board off the amount received from that body by the company, £2030 was absorbed by dividends(being £70 on each of the shares into which the capital is divided), and a credit balance of £328 remained on the year's transactions. There is yet to be added to the returns the proceeds from a parcel of mundic ore which was then lying at the battery.

The mine affords employment to 15 men, and it is the intention of the newly appointed committee of management to direct that a cross-cut be commenced for the purpose of striking the western channel, where a splendid quality of stone was obtained. The machinery is in excellent order, and the company's financial year has begun with even brighter prospects than those appearing when its predecessor was ushered in. The shareholders are to be congratulated upon the possession of so valuable a property, and its sound status affords but another example of what can be attained when energy, perseverance and judgment go hand in hand, and also proves that the stout-hearted need never despair of the Adelong reefs being payable even though others of less courage have failed.
    Last edited by GravityWaves: 11/03/22

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ADG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.4¢
Change
0.001(14.3%)
Mkt cap ! $4.322M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.4¢ 0.4¢ 0.4¢ $127 31.65K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
36 25588059 0.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.4¢ 17882982 16
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
0.4¢
  Change
0.001 ( 0.00 %)
Open High Low Volume
0.4¢ 0.4¢ 0.4¢ 1000000
Last updated 15.09pm 10/05/2024 ?
ADG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.