CGF 1.04% $6.82 challenger limited

Today I bought & here's why. 1) The outlook is for -0.3% to 3.3%...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 310 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 13
    Today I bought & here's why. 

1) The outlook is for -0.3% to 3.3% growth. It's a business with very strong market position, in a market that's growing & has decades of growth to come, regulatory tail winds & I believe in their model. 

2) As an investment arbitrage business it is naturally volatile. This is not new & can easily swing rapidly. Spreads will tighten, equities will go up & CGF will make a 3-4% margin over the long term. Since the end of the half in question the ASX200 is up c.4.5%.... not immaterial. 

4) We are exceptionally well capitalised & can clearly sustain a much much larger de-val & shock before anyone would even consider our stability an issue. 

5) A new CEO often clears the decks in the first 12 months. I would hazard a guess that these market movements are being accounted for somewhat early, in part to re-set the baseline. **This does not preclude further falls & it is probably only marginal the change he could effect, nevertheless a manager may effect a % here or there to lower the first year. (NOTE THAT THIS IS SPECULATION)

6) In 10 years I firmly believe annuity sales p.a. will be significantly higher with Challenger the market leader. Driven by the Aus super system & further aging of Aus' wealth. Property, equities & maybe bonds will all in aggregate be worth a decent clip more. 

7) Movement to higher grade bonds & lower property %, lowers capital intensity, risk & hence volatility. This push is recent & I am interested to see if it flows into Life's equity investments. 
           As an aside I'm curious on the size of our expose to the big 4 banks, given their size & yield they'd be tempting for Life to hold. Obvious risks as to why they wouldn't hold an over sized position. @Transversal do you know?

@Transversal my thoughts on the -41m policy liability movement is as a negative movement in 'economic & actuarial' assumptions over the period. Essentially lowering the expected return. Spread across the life book is a tiny % change & probably another 'risk off' type decision. 

Definitely a time for CGF & Richard to tighten the belt, lower our real cost base & not just rely on scale to drive cost to income down. Be prudent & set the business up to weather any further movement or to take advantage of a rebound. 

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CGF (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.