NMT 1.23% 8.2¢ neometals ltd

Good article in the australia that talks about potential for...

1. 571 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 290
    Good article in the australia that talks about potential for consolidation in the Kambalda district.

All eyes on BHP as Western Areas fields takeover interest from IGO

Market sources believe that BHP could be propelled into takeover mode while trying to tie up the sale of its petroleum and coal assets, after it emerged that IGO has been in talks to buy Western Areas.

IGO told the market on Thursday that it had held preliminary talks with Western Areas about an acquisition of the nickel miner at a time it plans to sharpen its focus on minerals used for environmentally friendly technology such as batteries in electric vehicles.

Market participants say that an acquisition by the Perth-based IGO of Western Areas is a threat to BHP because the company has valuable offtake agreements in place for its Nickel West business.

Western Areas owns a smelter, a sulfate plant and a refinery and IGO gaining control of those assets would be detrimental to BHP.

Others say that a more strategic play could be broader consolidation of listed nickel miners in Western Australia’s Kambalda District, where not only Western Areas and IGO come together, but the $350m Poseidon Nickel and the $530m Mincor Resources.

BHP could then make an acquisition of a consolidated group at a later stage.

Western Areas is advised by Rothschild & Co and Goldman Sachs, while IGO is working with Macquarie.

The situation is unfolding as BHP continues work on finalising a sale of its coal assets.

Peabody Energy, which counts BHP shareholder Elliott Management as its major shareholder, is said to be far out in front in the sales process and the preferred bidder.

However, there is talk that Peabody buys BHP’s two metallurgical coal mines in Queensland held as part of an alliance agreement with Mitsui Coal, known as BMC, but its Mt Arthur coal mine in NSW could be dealt with separately.

New Hope Coal is known to have some interest in Mt Arthur and recently raised about $200m for a convertible bond, but the question is whether it is offering a high enough price for the coal mine.

Some believe a recent $200m issue of senior, unsecured convertible notes was related to a Mt Arthur acquisition and designed to signal to BHP it had the money to pay up for the assets.

New Hope’s Bengalla thermal coal mine in the Upper Hunter Valley is close and could extract synergies.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...o/news-story/86ffcf99e6ddc94489c622fc92858a7d
    Last edited by finnigan86: 19/08/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NMT (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
8.2¢
Change
0.001(1.23%)
Mkt cap ! $51.10M
Open High Low Value Volume
8.1¢ 8.5¢ 8.1¢ $57.33K 694.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 63156 8.2¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
8.3¢ 40343 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 17/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
NMT (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.