ELD 0.74% $8.05 elders limited

I did buy shares in the company, on the basis of it being...

1. 16,448 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8016
    I did buy shares in the company, on the basis of it being sufficiently below my assessed valuation of $7.20/share, derived by forming a view of mid-cycle earnings and the capitalising same at 10x EV/EBIT:

ELD Valuation Range.JPG

The stock price is notoriously volatile, and it got to that assessed valuation, and then some, in reasonably short order, so I sold.

Not exactly the most elegant form of investing, I admit; more a case of merely being on the right side of market randomness. Ordinarily, if a business is a multi-year growth compounder, I am happy to continue to hold the shares even if they trade above my assessed valuation, because I know that time is on my side, and that the growth will inevitably chew down the multiples.

But the nature of the ELD business model - it is basically a weather derivative - means that it can never be a high conviction investment, so when the stock trades at, or above valuation, then it makes sense to sell. This implies a bit of short term-ism creeping into the investment process, which I try to avoid, but it is hard to do so when a stock price gaps up and down between big discount to valuation and fair value over relatively short periods.

Like now, for example, the stock is valued at around 7.5x EV/EBIT and 6.4x EV/EBIT, which is a 30% discount to where I assess fair value to be.

It isn't a great quality business but it's better than the mere 7.5x EV/EBIT which the market is affording it, and is the reason I am back re-visiting to see how it stacks up against some other stocks which have cratered in the latest bond market rout.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ELD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.05
Change
-0.060(0.74%)
Mkt cap ! $1.266B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.15 $8.18 $8.02 $3.051M 378.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 618 $8.04

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.07 1461 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 13/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$8.06
  Change
-0.060 ( 0.65 %)
Open High Low Volume
$8.18 $8.18 $8.02 78252
Last updated 15.59pm 13/06/2024 ?
ELD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.