DVR 0.00% $1.15 diverger limited

@Just_a_guy , Normalising each half-year for the long list of...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 16,933 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8394
    @Just_a_guy ,

Normalising each half-year for the long list of NRIs (which are becoming more recurring than not over time for EAS, but that's a separate matter) the second-half did look to me to be disconcertingly weak:

Madamswer's "Normalised" EBITA ($m)
    DH19 = 2.3
    JH20 = 3.4
    DH20 = 3.5 (+55% on pcp)
    JH20: 2.9 (-16% o pcp)

But I think I have cracked the code (at least part of the code).

The answer lies in (contextually highly material) movements in the provisions for ASIC advisor levies due to a combination of change in the number of advisors as well as the big increase in the per advisory levy, effective Feb 2021.

From the notes to the Dec 20 accounts:

EAS ASOC levy1.JPG

As can been seen, there was a ~$220k easing in the provision in DH20, followed by a ~$1m increase (from $0.698m @ 31 Dec 20, to $1.72m @ 30 June 20) in JH21:

EAS Asic 2.JPG

Now I'm not sure to what extent the company recognises revenue recovery, if at all, nor the timing of such revenue recognition but what I think I can say - without being prescriptive - is that, while the DH20 appears to have been modestly overstated, the underlying JH21 result looks like it is a lot stronger than suggested by the $2.9m figure I derived.

No matter how it is sliced, a $1m movement in this provision in the half is highly material in the context of a $2.9m half-year operating profit number.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DVR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.