MFG 0.70% $9.95 magellan financial group limited

That is an extremely good post Lost.You have documented...

1. 1,522 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 167
    That is an extremely good post Lost.
    You have documented brilliantly the HD "spin" with excellent examples
    Thing is I actually knew it was happening and happy for it to continue - banking on the average "wildebeest" investor to keep the faith which would allow MFG to keep it's fees high and profitability
    What I didn't anticipate was just how savage the overall markets would be - partic OS and tech and the downright panic of investors
    But the big one I didn't pick was the dumping of MFG FUM by those big OS institutions.
    How is anyone supposed to "predict" that?
    It's easy (with the benefit of hindsight) to anticipate all that
    As an investor if you want to make money owning stocks, well guess what....you actually have to own them!....
    Now there's a surprise!
    What riles me a bit is all the armchair "experts" with zero skin in the game who "knew" (all along) MFG was a dud...
    Investing is about risk
    Sure I should have taken some off - selling MFG when markets (partic tech) reached all time highs.
    I guess I did get lured by the HD spin, thinking he would do just that with the FUM and pivot to more conservative stocks within the very portfolio that MFG managed. That didn't happen and the rest is history.
    That is a very good point you make lost and an excellent post
    Thanks for that - I live and learn
    Tell me if MFG lowers it's fees and really does become the conservative fund manager it tells everyone it is, do you think they can turn it around?
    I'd be happy "it became a PTM" (from here)
    Or do you think "conservative" fund managers are basically history - unable to compete with exchange traded funds and indexing?
    I value your opinion on that
    Seems yr one of the most sensible heads around here on MFG
    Sooner or later I will need to make a decision
    Do I hold for a turn around and claw back my capital loss with 10 yrs or so of dividends or do I dump and run?
    I am inclined to hold for the long hall back, but I could be convinced that will never happen and it could go to zero
    Your thoughts?
    And thanks for all the efforts
    NA/IMO

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MFG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.