GXY 0.00% $5.28 galaxy resources limited

Thanks @airconditioner. We're at a bit of an impasse here,...

1. 2,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4001
    Thanks @airconditioner. We're at a bit of an impasse here, because I also don't like posting on threads for stocks I don't own, and I don't want to hijack what is an SdV thread to talk about LPD.

But if I may quickly address your points:

You're absolutely right about how early it is to discuss such things and how rough my numbers are. I was only posting as a loose demonstration of the potential, but whether it works in practice remains to be seen, as you've said.

But the main point I want to get across here is that LPD don't need Mt Cattlin at all. The P1 plant is going to be primarily fed from Alvarroes in Portugal, where LPD has delineated a JORC resource in an existing pegmatite mine. As you say, they need a targeted lepidolite mining operating and that is what they will build.

Mt Cattlin only comes into the discussion because, late last year, the team announced that P1 may end up producing 5000-6000t of LCE per year, rather than the original 2500-3000t, and they haven't indicated where the additional feed is going to come from yet.

It is logical that Mt Cattlin might provide an opportunity there to provide some/all of the additional feed, but it won't be needed until 2021 at the earliest. Again, I was just demonstrating how the alliance could potentially evolve. There's plenty of time to tinker and develop and see how things play out. Many things may change, and the numbers just may not stack up.

You're absolutely right that lepidolite needs to be concentrated, rather than DSO shipped, otherwise it would be margin killing, and that is why the team are developing a concentrator for Alvarroes: http://www.lepidico.com/wp-content/...Enhanced-development-option-for-Alvarroes.pdf

If the team get one of these concentrators up and running in Portugal, will something similar be plonked down next to Mt Cattlin? They're much smaller than a conventional spodumene DMS, as the team only needs to get 30,000 tonnes of 4.5% out of it. Would they do it?

It's possible, but it's too early to say.

As for locating the refinery there, no. The economics of the refinery being closer to the by-product markets and to a cheap supply of sulfuric acid far outweigh the cost savings of shipping concentrate. To understand that, you have to understand that on a tonnage basis, LPD will not be a lithium producer but a sodium silicate producer that happens to make lithium. 3000tpa of lithium carbonate vs 50,000tpa of sodium silicate. At current lithium prices the lithium is still worth more, but the by-products are a huge volume, so you need to be close to where you're selling them. To get 53,000 tonnes out of 30,000 tonnes of feed shows that you need 23,000 tonnes of other inputs, which also speaks to the economics of location. WA can't support that kind of activity.

But I digress, that's getting into LPD territory.

Anyway, I've taken up more than enough GXY space talking about another company, so I'm going to shut up now.

We'll see how it all shakes out.

Cheers
    Last edited by Sharpey: 11/06/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GXY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.