HLF 0.00% 0.7¢ halo food co. limited

Gibbo, I'm open to the possibility of being wrong and I also...

1. 3,387 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4561

No need for personal attacks, @Rpmaint. I wish you well and I genuinely empathize with the situation that you are in (and all other early investors in HLF) where you lost a significant amount of money after making such a concentrated bet on this stock. Your situation is a genuinely sad situation and you are not alone: the financial markets are a highly risky asset class with the possibility of permanent capital loss.

Unless you devote your life to it; buying, holding and dollar-cost averaging into an ETF/index is the best approach to the financial markets. The reality is that being an active investor is the most gladiatorial arena one could possibly step into and it should not be encouraged for the average individual. The markets are filled with highly incentivised, smart participants and it is very difficult to survive (beat the market) over the long term without an edge.

I understand that because you have made a massive loss on this stock, you are cautious of and worried about anyone else entering and falling to the same outcome. That's a valid emotion to feel. However, I do my own due diligence and I take responsibility for my own successes and failures (as should everyone) and thus I am comfortable with my own decision making on this stock.

Each individual must come to their own independent conclusions and take responsibility for their own decision making when investing and just as you have a right to share your opinions, so do I. I share my investment thesis such that it is open for debate and such that I can improve as an investor. I'm merely trying to get better each day at what I do. It is unfortunate that that has somehow offended you.

Gibbo, I'm open to the possibility of being wrong and I also feel for the situation you are in, given you are a long term holder. I however am not a long-term holder in this company and investing at 7c for a company with $80m+ revenue and $6m+ EBITDA is a very different situation compared to investing at 40c post IPO for a company with $2m revenue and no profit. I know that legacy holders here are frustrated, angry, and upset: and you have every right to be.

Sometimes, this is where I like to find investments because hate is a very powerful emotion.

"Almost by definition, we are running towards that which most people are running away from because how else are you going to get a very reasonable, cheap price on a good company unless the marketplace believes something is terribly wrong.” — Bruce Berkowitz

“When people walk through all the reasons to hate something, we often don't disagree with them on the current facts, but may come to a different conclusion on the long-term investment prospects given what we have to pay. People at times don't put enough weight on valuation." — David Green

“Part of the future is unknowable but there are some instances where you can take a calculated risk/reward bet. One thing I would say is that a common characteristic of many of the stocks that we buy is that everyone hates them. We do that a lot." — Joel Greenblatt

“The safest and most potentially profitable thing is to buy something when no-one likes it. Given time, its popularity, and thus its price, can only go one way; up.” — Howard Marks
    Last edited by T.E.P.: 25/03/22

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add HLF (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.