ALK 1.57% 62.5¢ alkane resources limited

Re today's contention on whether or not it's smart to sell ALK...

1. 643 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 215
    Re today's contention on whether or not it's smart to sell ALK just now.... my view FWIW is as follows.

I sold 30% of my holding Tuesday for the following reasons:
    1. The Boda resource ALK is proving up is a long way from being commercially viable. As McPhillamy's (which is generally believed not likely now to be developed) indicates there is a world of difference between having gold in the ground and actually being commercially able to extract it. So while I have been as guilty as any at talking about the wonderful resource we have and how crazy it's not baked into the share price, there may well be a very good reason for that. For me McPhillamy's was a bit of a reality check.
    2. It's axiomatic that an advancing gold price will raise all producers who are producing gold at a cost lower than the realised price. So as @Joelstar says you don't miss out if the funds generated by a sale go elsewhere where the same effect is occurring. In my case FWIW the new gold shares bought have advanced further than the ALK ones over the last couple of days - yes I know 2 days is not long enough to prove anything really!
    3. Another way of looking at point 2 is simply that ALK is a bit whiffy for reasons we have all talked about and while a rising tide raises all boats it pays not to have a smelly bum if you want to maximise the impact of the rising tide (apologies to my English teacher of old for the terrible mixed metaphors).
    5. Gold is not the only theme out there. One of the big names suggested they were trimming gold and supplementing O&G. I support their view. Want an inflation hedge and something that will do well in a crisis (and also generates ample cash flow)? Then O&G is worth a look too.
    6. Money is definitely returning to pure explorers. This is raising their prices on no news and makes it more attractive to park money there while also hoping for that elusive discovery hole.

All of which is said while maintaining a very healthy amount (by my standards not absolute standards) in ALK...

Happy investing.....

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ALK (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
62.5¢
Change
-0.010(1.57%)
Mkt cap ! $380.1M
Open High Low Value Volume
64.0¢ 64.5¢ 62.0¢ $592.0K 932.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
11 29383 62.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
62.5¢ 7909 12
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.30pm 21/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
62.0¢
  Change
-0.010 ( 1.98 %)
Open High Low Volume
64.0¢ 64.5¢ 62.0¢ 205649
Last updated 15.47pm 21/05/2024 ?
ALK (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.