CMP 1.52% 32.5¢ compumedics limited

Valuation as of today: at $0.3 a share, $52.72M. At...

1. 370 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 72
    Valuation as of today: at $0.3 a share, $52.72M. At multiple-years lows.

FY21
    Revenue: $36m
    EBITDA: $2.6m
    net profit: $1m
    R&D : $4.4m

HY 22:
    Revenue: $15m
    EBITDA: $1.2m
    net profit: $0.3m
    R&D : $2.3m

FY 22:
    Management's guidance on EBITDA >= $2.6m

From valuation perspective, P/E ratio is around 52, which might look high to most investors.
    However, looking closely at the expense, CMP is spending between $4-5m per year on R&D, over 10% of the revenue. From core business perspective, without R&D, it would be earning around $4-5m net profit.

From my opinion, the question is not whether the company is generating enough profit to justify the valuation. The more important question is whether it is worth spending 4-5m on R&D per year. In the recent year, these R&D have not resulted in material increase in revenue. However, in the long term, neuro-imaging and sleep diagnostic remains future-proof industry, in which CMP has #1 market-leading products in Australia, China, Japan and #3 in USA. I do believe R&D is crucial to any company's success, specially in technology.

To me, CMP has 3 medium term drivers and 2 potential step-out , each with different opportunities and challenges:
    Medium term drivers
    (1) Innovation of existing clinical sleep diagnostic products - O: established market presence/reputation, C: relatively lower growth,
    (2) MEG sales - O: high value sales (4-5m per machine), C: logistic challenges, installation cost, new to the market
    (3) Somfit devices to consumers O: mass-market market, C: intense competition from other wearable devices

Step-out
    (1) Software subscription/licensing - Nexus an CURRY. Subscription and licensing model with low incremental costs,
    (2) DWL brain Doppler - Collaboration with ambulance or medical equipment manufacturers

2022 could be a game changer, in terms of the commercialization of Somfit and successful delivery/installation of MEG

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CMP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
32.5¢
Change
-0.005(1.52%)
Mkt cap ! $59.72M
Open High Low Value Volume
32.5¢ 32.5¢ 32.5¢ $5.975K 18.38K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 9774 32.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
33.0¢ 8000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.30am 05/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CMP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.