CSL 0.81% $309.18 csl limited

Just some basic rules of thumb that I codified and wrote down...

1. 597 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 98
    Just some basic rules of thumb that I codified and wrote down and follow strictly - if goes 10% past what I feel the value is (based on my model) then I put it on a watching brief. If it goes 30% above what I think the value is then its in my sell zone and if it goes 50% above what I think the value for the next year then its a mandatory sell (that's what happened here). Basic tenet is that businesses revert to their value but that that doesn't stop businesses continuing to "pop" when they are on a run so that's why I let it run to 50% above fair value.

My back test with things I follow (higher quality businesses with strong free cash flow and a decent return on equity) is that basically, every 10% extra over value means a corresponding 20% - 25% increase in the risk of it falling back to fair value within the next 6-12 months.

I also use 80% trailing stop losses of the 52 week high - generally works well since I don't have invest in micro caps. That's just based on the mathematics of a 20% fall requiring the stock to go up 25% from that point to get back to "even" and that's more a capital preservation thing for when things I buy trend down even below what I think is fair value - so the basic idea there is to cut the losers.

Let winners run (to a point), cut losers. Sounds simple and I let the rules above, and a few others, guide me and take the emotion out of it.
    Last edited by JamesRS: 16/02/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CSL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$309.18
Change
-2.520(0.81%)
Mkt cap ! $149.4B
Open High Low Value Volume
$309.97 $311.31 $307.86 $126.5M 409.4K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 852 $309.17

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$309.18 741 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 22/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CSL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.