SHL 1.50% $26.34 sonic healthcare limited

"I notice you have this as not held. What's holding you back...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7957
    "I notice you have this as not held. What's holding you back from buying a share of this company?"

In a word, valuation.

I did own the stock at stages over the course of 2023, but it hasn't been a high conviction position. As a result, it has been a "trade" for me which, while profitable, is not in keeping with my investing DNA which is more aligned with being a long-term holder of rapid-growth compounders. Or, when opportunity presents, a buyer of cyclical businesses trading at very steep discounts to intrinsic valuation.

I don't think SHL is either of these.

But there are times when it does succumb to the market schitzophrenia from being overly loved to being overly hated. Which is why I maintain a watch on the business, but it's never represented elegant investing in my mind, because the times I have made sh0rt-term money out of it, I feel it involved too much luck for my liking.

Don't get me wrong; it isn't a cruddy company. It's a resilient business model, with granular customer base and stable recurring earnings [*], and is more than ably stewarded by its directors.

It's just that it isn't a nimble ski-boat that is capable of rapid acceleration (instead, it's more like a slow-moving oil tanker... slower than the ski boat, maybe, but a lot harder to sink); nor is it ever priced at bargain basement levels that permits having a big, red-hot conviction go at it.

[*] In this same pathology space, I did spend a few hours the other week looking at a minnow in the industry [https://hotcopper.com.au/posts/72281791/single], which looks a lot cheaper than SHL, but the trade-off is that it lacks the long track record of SHL,

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SHL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$26.34
Change
-0.400(1.50%)
Mkt cap ! $12.65B
Open High Low Value Volume
$26.29 $26.69 $26.26 $47.26M 1.790M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 38 $26.33

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$26.40 403 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$26.38
  Change
-0.400 ( 1.90 %)
Open High Low Volume
$26.31 $26.68 $26.26 255431
Last updated 15.59pm 26/04/2024 ?
SHL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.