SHL 0.82% $24.56 sonic healthcare limited

Ann: Half Yearly Report and Accounts, page-21

1. 16,425 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7991
    "I notice you have this as not held. What's holding you back from buying a share of this company?"

In a word, valuation.

I did own the stock at stages over the course of 2023, but it hasn't been a high conviction position. As a result, it has been a "trade" for me which, while profitable, is not in keeping with my investing DNA which is more aligned with being a long-term holder of rapid-growth compounders. Or, when opportunity presents, a buyer of cyclical businesses trading at very steep discounts to intrinsic valuation.

I don't think SHL is either of these.

But there are times when it does succumb to the market schitzophrenia from being overly loved to being overly hated. Which is why I maintain a watch on the business, but it's never represented elegant investing in my mind, because the times I have made sh0rt-term money out of it, I feel it involved too much luck for my liking.

Don't get me wrong; it isn't a cruddy company. It's a resilient business model, with granular customer base and stable recurring earnings [*], and is more than ably stewarded by its directors.

It's just that it isn't a nimble ski-boat that is capable of rapid acceleration (instead, it's more like a slow-moving oil tanker... slower than the ski boat, maybe, but a lot harder to sink); nor is it ever priced at bargain basement levels that permits having a big, red-hot conviction go at it.

[*] In this same pathology space, I did spend a few hours the other week looking at a minnow in the industry [https://hotcopper.com.au/posts/72281791/single], which looks a lot cheaper than SHL, but the trade-off is that it lacks the long track record of SHL,

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SHL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$24.56
Change
0.200(0.82%)
Mkt cap ! $11.81B
Open High Low Value Volume
$24.59 $24.70 $24.48 $8.467M 344.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
17 769 $24.55

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$24.56 1030 20
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.44pm 06/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$24.57
  Change
0.200 ( 1.17 %)
Open High Low Volume
$24.57 $24.70 $24.48 90183
Last updated 13.04pm 06/06/2024 ?
SHL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.