AVZ 0.00% 78.0¢ avz minerals limited

Numbers are misleading as you probably know, as some others...

1. 1,022 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1165
    Numbers are misleading as you probably know, as some others ended through mutual consent following an indepedently mediated reconciliation process carried out under the aegis of ICSID. Or through a settlement award. Which is another 20% or so. So in reality around half of cases or probably just slightly less that reach registration stage either have a successful determination, reach a settlement, or are withdrawn with both party's consent, in many cases following the reconciliation process.

Not saying we want to wait the average 3.5 years to reach this point, only to then face years of potential challenges in enforcing a successful award, especially if it's substantial. But I think your numbers don't paint the real picture, given what we are after here - which isnt necessarily to reach an award stage. Also if you look at ICSID case statistics, even in sub-saharan Africa, the great majority are enforced. Would be a bold move by a country seeking international investment at a critical junction in its history to go against the World Bank and international business treaty's in such a public fashion.

This is an all-in moment no doubt, but my feeling is that the company repeatedly tried and failed to hold negotiations with government, so are attempting to force the DRC to the table. Its a bold move, and feels like a last ditch-effort to me in many ways, but it might just work. And I guess what was the alternative when we were being ignored and time just dragged on? Sooner or later the government was going to reallocate the licence citing its strategic interests and the inability of AVZ to progress the Project. This step just lights a fire, applying pressure and focusing international attention, and hopefully precipitating an outcome that avoids the death by a thousand cuts and endless delay strategy that was clearly in play - overseen and influenced by the Chinese, and implemented by its corrupted local political puppets

There's no stepping back from it, sure. May this bring it all crumbling down? Most definitely. But it was headed in that direction anyway in my opinion, just slower.

Lacta Alea Est.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVZ (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.