DBF 0.70% $1.43 duxton farms ltd

Hi Cocky5,I wish the current NTA was $3.48, but its only around...

1. 878 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 55

Hi Cocky5,

I wish the current NTA was $3.48, but its only around $2.80, they had already added
    that midyear valuation update into the mix to get the $2.63 NTA you mentioned, this
    latest valuation only adds just under $7mill to that or around 17cps to bring it to $2.80
    so my calculation of a discount to NTA of 35% is pretty spot on

Lots of asset managers trade at discounts to NTA at times, and other times trade at premiums
    It is sometimes a great way to make money, by playing this NTA discount and when things turn
    around the NTA discount closes, so you win by the turn around and also the closing of the discount
    I will use LSF as an example, before listing LSF, L1 capital had a few very good years in their
    unlisted fund they were the flavour of the month, they then listed LSF and took all the $$ that
    were thrown at them, well over a billion dollars from memory, unfortunately from that $2 listing
    price the SP went downhill fast, holders were losing faith in the investment model, even when
    they started to turn things around the discount to NTA grew bigger, it got to around 35% from
    memory, at one stage in march 2020 the shareprice was in the 60c range and reported NTA
    was over $1, people here on HC were calling for exactly what you said, basically a winding up
    of LSF and handing back the money, I voiced an alternate opinion and stated that L1 had no
    control of this discount to NTA, that it was the market talking. I had bought heaps of LSF and bought
    them at an average of over 30% discount to NTA....L1 got their mojo back and as their performance
    improved the the discount slowly evaporated, in a year or so they went from mid 60cto nearly $3

I bought AACo at an average of $1.08, because it was trading at what I estimated to be a
    45% discount to NTA it was out of favour, roll on 18 months and I basically doubled my money,
    It went from a 45% discount to assets, to probably pretty close to even stevens

I think Duxton have done a half decent job since listing, they had a couple of years of bad drought
    straight after listing, they took a big risk buying the farm in South Aust, but it paid off in spades,
    and paid the win back to holders with a 6.2c divvy. If you believe the valuations they have nearly
    doubled the NTA per share, yeah this is not reflected in the SP, but again this is not all the fault
    of management, yes I do get your point that the management fees are the cause of this discount,
    but its not just that, management fees are only .85%, so 40 years of management fees are baked
    into that discount...NAH I dont think so, it might have a bit to do with it but not a lot
    I personally think that investors understand that farm prices have had a good decade or so of
    price rises and especially with the now low returns on these high prices, something will have to give

I actually think like Duxton, and think that we may see meat, grain and other soft commodity prices
    jump up a level or two (which they have already) and stay at these elevated level forever, thats my
    thinking and I want to be part of that, you Cocky5 by the sounds of it, already have exposure
    to this way of thinking or asset class

So I am happy to buy my exposure to this thinking at a 35% off sale

I am not keen on them winding up DBF (yet) and handing back the discount, I suppose thats why
    I hold and you dont

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DBF (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.43
Change
0.010(0.70%)
Mkt cap ! $59.64M
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.47 $1.47 $1.43 $9.125K 6.4K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 5455 $1.43

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.55 3724 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.22pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$1.44
  Change
0.010 ( 1.06 %)
Open High Low Volume
$1.47 $1.47 $1.43 3003
Last updated 15.22pm 03/05/2024 ?
DBF (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.