LBL 0.00% 59.0¢ laserbond limited

Hi Greg @Grasshopper59I have no background or knowledge about...

1. 406 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 616
    Hi Greg @Grasshopper59

I have no background or knowledge about engineering. I've never owned any type of company. I'm just an investor who enjoys researching the companies I buy shares in. I've only been a shareholder for about nine months too. I have a lot of respect for what you have achieved and your world-class knowledge of the technologies used by LaserBond (the majority of which, I understand, you personally developed). Congratulations on what you built and achieved. There is an argument to be made that you don't get the credit you deserve.

I've watched the Rask interview with Wayne a couple of times. Wayne mentions your planned retirement which was supposedly a couple of years in the making. I don't know whether this statement is valid or not. I assume you may disagree with it. I agree with ZMan that HotCopper doesn't seem like the place to litigate these matters. Maybe I am just sentimental, but I agree with plough that your talents are wasted at the moment. You seem like an outstanding resource for LaserBond to have in a well-paid, senior part-time R&D type position (and your family still has a large stake). Have you thought about asking to re-join the company and relocate to America, to head the US site if that eventuates? I hope you can resolve the outstanding issues and play a part in LaserBond again.

I take the points you make about a lack of ambition from the board, and you allude to a lack of ability. However a good team is more than just a star player. Gary Ablett Jnr. left Geelong and they went on to win premierships, for example. Wayne Carey left North Melbourne because despite his obvious ability, the team dynamics made his stay at the club untenable. I assume the current board has its reasons for not wanting you to re-join and these reasons could be about team harmony rather than ability. It is genuinely sad to read your commentary and words of dissatisfaction.

I would be interested to know your opinion on the LBL technology and where it sits compared with similar Australian and international companies. I mean, is there anything comparable in the market currently? And what would it take for other surface engineering companies to catch up with what LaserBond offers? Are the services LBL offers truly unique and invaluable to guard against component wear?

Regarding the R&D spend (around $800-900k a year), how much progress do you think LaserBond makes each year with developing new processes for that money, and importantly monetising the technologies it studies? How well-spent do you think this money is?

As a private individual investor with no current role at the company, you are free to buy as few, or as many shares as you like. Have you thought about taking advantage of the price weakness and increasing your holding by buying on-market below 60 cents? Do you have an opinion about your own sense of what a LBL share is worth and whether it is currently good value or not?

I'd also be keen to hear if you have an opinion on how complementary Gateway is to LaserBond, and how well received the surface engineering services would be to its customers in WA.

Lastly, I am wondering if you have an opinion on what the biggest factor is which could hold LBL back from expansion. Is it access to qualified staff, for example. I note Wayne said in the Rask interview that LaserBond makes a point of trying to retain all staff when sites are taken over. What do you see as the biggest challenges moving forward (aside from board personnel opinions, please!).

I am asking these questions to you as a fellow investor who has an enviable engineering knowledge, and knowledge of LaserBond itself. I'm curious about these issues, and since the co-founder of the business I'm invested in is actually here on HotCopper, I'd love to know your opinions.

Thanks Greg, and good luck to you. I hope the disputes you have are resolved to everybody's satisfaction.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LBL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.