VUK 0.73% $4.07 virgin money uk plc

maybe I was too quick to dismiss the possibility. NatWest is at...

1. 5,395 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 291
    maybe I was too quick to dismiss the possibility.

NatWest is at a p/b of 0.6 which is similar to vmuk, and Lloyds which is like the CBA equivalent is at .7 so I can’t see the local banks wanting to use scrip to buy virgin at a p/b >0.6.

As you know the uk and European bank shareholders have been waiting a long time for shareholder returns, really since the gfc with regulators requiring ever more capital to avoid the same, as well as European private sector deleveraging, and the ecb/boe going to zero/negative interest rates making wiping out any value of deposits at banks. The banks (vuk less than some others) are still paying for this having swapped out their zero rate deposits for low long term finances (<1% for multi years) and so the nim remains under pressure until these roll off.

Then you throw in the technology transformation costs, as well as legacy infringements like ppi scandal and you get to the current place where finally there is some money available for shareholders but the equity values haven’t yet really reflected the at reality.

so I can’t see the european banks wanting to use their precious newfound cash either, for m&a just yet, but I didn’t really think outside the box with respect to other foreign banks (us? Asian?).

I think the carcasses/government interventions (I’ve recently been looking at aibg which is still selling down the Irish government stake!) remain too fresh for animal spirits imv

how do you see the likelihood/possible predators?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VUK (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$4.07
Change
-0.030(0.73%)
Mkt cap ! $2.234B
Open High Low Value Volume
$4.10 $4.10 $4.07 $3.407M 835.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 10984 $4.06

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$4.08 60338 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$4.07
  Change
-0.030 ( 0.73 %)
Open High Low Volume
$4.10 $4.10 $4.07 273132
Last updated 15.59pm 03/05/2024 ?
VUK (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.