AKE 0.00% $9.83 allkem limited

Ann: June 2023 Quarterly Activities Report, page-58

1. 4,312 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2607
    To my post about Naraha I probably should have added this bit, from an announcement by (now) Allkem on 28 August 2020 about a memorandum of understanding (MOU) they signed.

"Prime Planet and Energy Solutions Inc. (PPES) is a 51%/49% joint venture between Toyota Motor Corporation and Panasonic.The MOU requires Orocobre/SDJ/TTC/TLC to supply PPES up to 30,000 tonnes of lithium carbonateequivalent (LCE) per year by 2025 with initial deliveries commencing from 2021. It is anticipated that amajority of the LCE will be in the form of lithium hydroxide from the existing Naraha plant and a futureexpansion of lithium hydroxide production capacity. It is expected the expanded Naraha lithium hydroxideplant will source primary grade lithium carbonate feedstock from the Olaroz Lithium Facility".

I've not been able to find out whether this MOU still in on foot or if it has expired or even if PPES is still a thing. Either way when Allkem says in the current quarterly that earlier this month they dispatched battery grade lithium hydroxide from Naraha for qualification by potential customers I am relatively sure that they would have sent the test product to the likes of PPES and Panasonic. Stage One of Naraha should be good for 10k tonnes pa of lithium hydroxide. And Olaroz 2 could be up to production of 25k tonnes a year of lithium carbonate feedstock within the next 18 months or even less. Could they knock up a 20ktpa extension at Naraha by 2025? Probably not, but the thing is if they want to have any chance of looking after PPES by 2025 they need to start making decisions and announcements now.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.