WHC 3.27% $7.69 whitehaven coal limited

Thanks for the shoutout. Your points are well made but my...

1. 4,178 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2290
    Thanks for the shoutout. Your points are well made but my concerns are not about the operations or coal itself. I'm worried about macro, capital management, and sovereign risk.

My view:

1) CEO made negative comments last dividend cycle about itinerant shareholders just wanting a dividend (paraphrasing). I don't think it's appropriate to be negative about the expectations of people who own shares, even if it's just for a short time. A company isn't investible to me if the execs don't respect all shareholders.

2) As I've stated long ago, I think the buyback is a stuff up because they bought at very expensive prices when the commodity price was at all time highs, destroying shareholder value now that the share price is much lower than many of those purchases at $8-10+. The only reason a buyback is useful vs straight dividends is that it makes options more valuable, even unvested ones. so it isn't exclusively a reward for current shareholders like a dividend. options reward execs and employee share plan holders mainly. so picking a buyback and then running it regardless of how expensive the shares are is a second warning sign to me of activity that doesn't align with my interests as a retail shareholder.

3) Any big upside will be destroyed by Government theft via increased royalties and climate carbon charges at some point IMO. So i would need WHC to be post royalty changes and post carbon taxing and at a share price that was basically Net cash value for me to rebuy...

I hope that helps and it's just my view. i may well be wrong but you did request it. Cheers.
    Last edited by polarbear666: 27/07/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.69
Change
-0.260(3.27%)
Mkt cap ! $6.433B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.93 $7.93 $7.68 $31.13M 4.018M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
9 60928 $7.68

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.69 29913 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.