BKW 0.34% $26.85 brickworks limited

NZ tax laws are fairly complex but from my research they have a...

1. 5,641 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 541
    NZ tax laws are fairly complex but from my research they have a few unique points. Firstly we were looking at owning NZ shares firtly and as it would be a company it would be NZ domiciled so would get the franking credits from NZ companies. We would own assets that were growth where little or no dividends are paid plus it would own international shares. They do have a complicated notional dividend process for USA but it didnt make that much of a difference. So if you owned Afterpay and it went from $12 to $26 you would not have CGT on the sale. No dividends so no implications in regard to franking credits. The disincentive in OZ is that you tend to hold onto APT as you would not be able to repurchase the same amount after cgt once sold. The NZ company would not pay dividends so in effect you would not have taxable income in OZ.
    It would act like Bershire H ... build asset value.
    As regards buying a house you are taxed on world wide assets and income so you are liable for cgt if its in your name and tax on income if you rent it out. I suppose you could put it into a company but that wasnt our intent. Our reason was that there is also a clause that allowed you to accept international rights offers without a prospectus being lodged - a quirk of NZ being small and having enabling legislation. Often in holding a UK stock we found that we didnt get the rights and thus it cost us. There are some requirements in regard to registering a company there but OZ company directors are okay.
    Please note that this is my personal understanding and not professional advice, some of it may have changed or even be incorrect if I misunderstood the advice I got. Certainly I would not hold BKW there. It is an income stock with growth not a growth stock with little income.
    Also remember if your intent is mainly to avoid tax then in fact the anti avoidance legislation would kick in as well. We actually wanted to own NZ companies and felt that holdings on the OZ register was a huge disadvantage. The CGT issue was a way to add other stocks but mostly international ones so that we could access our rights issues. The OZ shareholder in an nz company only pays tax when they dispose of the nz share and on any dividends hence not paying dividends means no tax here.
    Last edited by joewolf: 25/09/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BKW (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$26.85
Change
0.090(0.34%)
Mkt cap ! $4.095B
Open High Low Value Volume
$26.80 $26.93 $26.62 $2.174M 81.07K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 435 $26.84

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$26.91 241 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BKW (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.