OGX 0.00% 0.3¢ orinoco gold limited

Its true they've been acknowledging mining dilution but the way...

1. 2,527 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 114
    Its true they've been acknowledging mining dilution but the way the reports have been worded has made it easy to make the interpretation that the hammer mill is achieving grades orders of magnitude higher than the gravity plant which seems highly unlikely (or is it?). Previous sampling of these zones has always returned high grades (i.e from the ore itself) and previous announcements have always stated that mostly low grade development ore (with some high grade blending) was going through the mill.

The most recent 8000 tonne parcel that went through the mill had a head grade of ~2g/t (see announcement https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20180130/pdf/43r4y02g0sr5xw.pdf) and this is the part that confuses me.

If the head grades going through are of the order of 2g/t (which in the past has been stated as being due to a lot of development ore being blended with the high grade stoping ore - a.k.a dilution) how are we seeing current tailings bulk samples returning grades of ~9g/t+. Was it tailings that they bulk sampled or waste? If it was tailings then that implies ore of > 9g/t head grade was getting fed into the mill at some stage, with woeful recovery rates, in order to produce these high grade tailings - but I don't recall seeing reports of milling with high head grades like this. (So if this is the case are we saying the way they were assaying head grades is wrong?).

If not then is the talk about the hammer mill vs the gravity plant providing a bit of a distraction (i.e. 75% recoveries vs 90% recoveries is nothing to sniff at - but on paper with 30g/t ore that means 27g/t recovery vs 22g/t recovery - i.e. doesn't explain 2g/t head grades and doesn't explain supposedly barren tailings suddenly having 10g/t. (well maybe it would explain it if 40g/t head grade material was being fed through the plant in bulk but that doesn't appear to have been the case based on reported head grades as I understand it they've been blending with development ore all along).

I'm as keen to understand this properly as anyone as the gold system itself looks large with spectacular visible gold. It has always seemed feasible that after finding the right balance of dilution alongside processing optimisation they should be able to achieve profitable production.
    Last edited by groundswell: 03/02/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OGX (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.