LYC 0.34% $5.93 lynas rare earths limited

Ann: Mt Weld Drilling Confirms Continuous REE Mineralisation, page-44

1. 180 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 142
    From my "interested amateur" perspective, modern nuclear power plants have an in-built level of explosion resilience, however, that resilience is from within - say an overheating/core melting event which could result in (say) a hydrogen gas explosion - sorta like what happened at Fukushima after the monster tsunami.

They would - almost certainly - not be built for resilience against a military attack (*). This new eventuality is extremely concerning, and it could have terrifying results for all of Europe.

You don't need to do much to cripple a nuclear plant's ability to produce power - bomb the electrical transmission yard and no power can leave the facility. However, if you start a fire, you could cripple the safety infrastructure that is required to MAINTAIN the cooling of the reactor even after it has shut down - I believe they need additional cooling for weeks if not months after they have been shut down. This can usually be achieved by diesel generators powering the cooling pumps. A firs can easily damage those systems, and a "meltdown" could be the end result - Chernobyl anyone?

(*) Given that the reactor in question is almost certainly an old soviet design (built in 1985), I would be concerned that it is of the same dodgy design - and at extreme risk of a melt down.

Giving this some though, the latest events are extremely concerning - like up there with the biggest disasters Europe have seen - potentially.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.93
Change
-0.020(0.34%)
Mkt cap ! $5.542B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.04 $6.04 $5.93 $23.75M 3.975M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 128544 $5.92

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.95 12481 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.