LYC 0.50% $5.95 lynas rare earths limited

From my "interested amateur" perspective, modern nuclear power...

1. 180 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 142
    From my "interested amateur" perspective, modern nuclear power plants have an in-built level of explosion resilience, however, that resilience is from within - say an overheating/core melting event which could result in (say) a hydrogen gas explosion - sorta like what happened at Fukushima after the monster tsunami.

They would - almost certainly - not be built for resilience against a military attack (*). This new eventuality is extremely concerning, and it could have terrifying results for all of Europe.

You don't need to do much to cripple a nuclear plant's ability to produce power - bomb the electrical transmission yard and no power can leave the facility. However, if you start a fire, you could cripple the safety infrastructure that is required to MAINTAIN the cooling of the reactor even after it has shut down - I believe they need additional cooling for weeks if not months after they have been shut down. This can usually be achieved by diesel generators powering the cooling pumps. A firs can easily damage those systems, and a "meltdown" could be the end result - Chernobyl anyone?

(*) Given that the reactor in question is almost certainly an old soviet design (built in 1985), I would be concerned that it is of the same dodgy design - and at extreme risk of a melt down.

Giving this some though, the latest events are extremely concerning - like up there with the biggest disasters Europe have seen - potentially.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.95
Change
-0.030(0.50%)
Mkt cap ! $5.561B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.96 $6.00 $5.93 $10.85M 1.822M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 19331 $5.95

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.96 32024 7
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.