NCK 1.23% $16.02 nick scali limited

I think this is going to be one of the gnarliest reporting...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 16,952 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8402
    I think this is going to be one of the gnarliest reporting seasons over the past, I dunno, maybe ten years.

There are pitfalls aplenty, with sluggish economic conditions constraining top-line performance which, when combined with input cost pressures, suggests plenty of margin pressure.

So, while it is usual to have a half-decent idea what to expect from a NCK result, tomorrow is a bit of concern because of certain uncertainties that will impact the result.

I took at Pre-Tax Profit to remove any distortions from variations in providing for taxation, and then at EBIT in order to get a gauge of operating performance, without possible finance expense distortions.  

And as I tonight briefly run over the inputs to my NCK financial model, I find the Pre-Tax and EBIT numbers could conceivably land within a rather wide range.  

Focusing on FY2024's Pre-Tax Profit, my base case is for a figure of $113m, which would be down ~20% on FY2023's $143.5m, but in half-year terms DH2023 took the worst of the hit, being down 28% on its pcp.  JH2024 is set to come in 11% lower than its pcp, according to the model:

Pre-Tax Profit By Halves ($m), and change on pcp [%]:
    DH2022:  86.4 [+79%]
    JH2023:   57.1 [-4%]
    DH2023:   62.2 [-28%]
    JH2024 (f): 51.0 [-11%]

So while $113m Pre-Tax Profit is the base case, I do worry about pressure on the gross margin, due consumer softness, CoGS inflation as well as international freight costs, which have been rising sharply again in recent months. I have the GP Margin coming in at 64.5% for the full-year (DH2023 GP margin was 65.6%, and I think 63.5% in JH2024 is not out of the realms of possibility).

Then there are the imponderable additional CoDB expenses likely to be incurred in the integration, re-branding and refurbishment of the Fabb Furniture business, which was owned for the last 2 months of the year. While many other company managements might seek to spare the bottom-line earnings by capitalising these sorts of expenses, knowing NCK management like I do, the NCK P&L is likely to simply have to wear them on the chin (The market is invariably too lazy to normalise for this kind of thing).

So, there are a number of inputs this time which are more rubbery than usual.

Accordingly, I'm saying Pre-Tax Profit of $113m is best guess, any  number below $110m would be bad news, and anywhere approaching $120m would be an absolute miracle.  

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NCK (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.