ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 856 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 356
    I am no expert on short selling as I don't do it myself, but it is my understanding that FINRA (http://www.finra.org/industry/short-interest-reporting) is required to track actual short positions due to regulation SHO (https://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/regsho.htm). This tracking is done in an effort to prevent or stop securities fraud/violations. I'm not sure where the "shortanalytics" site (the site with the graphs) gets their numbers, so it is possible you are right about that site, but they always seem reasonably close to the official FINRA numbers and so I have assumed that they are fairly accurate. I believe that the numbers in the FINRA document do show actual short positions, though. However, unfortunately it is not possible to tell exactly how many positions are still open at the end of the day. For example, if 30% of the shares sold during a day were sold short, all of those short positions could have been closed within the day by covering (i.e. purchasing) from the non-short volume. However, if the short volume is over 50% within a day, then I think it must be concluded that there are still some open short positions for that day because there were not enough "non-short" shares to cover positions with. Also, the closer the short percentage is to 50%, the more likely it is that there are open short positions carrying over to the next day. I personally believe that a higher percentage of short volume often predicts stability of gains when the stock price rises.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KZA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.