OGC 0.00% $2.20 oceanagold corporation

That is the problem with many of those who go on an "eco"...

1. 8,079 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 385
    That is the problem with many of those who go on an "eco" crusade. There is no willingness to compromise or make allowance for the fact that people have to live and make a living. The sanctity of the "environment" becomes paramount and some of these campaigns do not want to take any notice of the economic damage they do.
    Now before you go labeling me as an exploiter of the environment that is just not true. I certainly think that the environment ought to be cared for and every attempt should be made to limit damage to the minimum when useful projects are undertaken that are going to benefit and enhance the lives of people and the communities in which they live.. Mining for instance should be undertaken with the aim of repairing any environmental damage. That should be the standard that should prevail when deciding whether mining activity is viable.
    Far too often I have witnessed the modern eco warriors as twisting things to suit their interpretation. Witness the nonsense about the Amazon forest being on fire because of global warming. Most video footage showed grassland being burnt which in truth was a normal activity at that time of the year. Where smoking tree stumps were shown it was a case of farmers clearing a bit of forest for agricultural purposes. Those nonsense claims dropped out of the headlines once the truth began to emerge that the grass fires were a normal agricultural activity and NASA satellite imagery showed they were less than in some previous years. Nothing to do with global warming at all.
    Much the same can be said about the claims about the Australian bushfires. Most of them could be traced to natural events such as lightning or in too many instances arson activity. That on top of too much fuel being allowed to accumulate through lack of preventative action.
    So I am very skeptical about the actions of the protesters at Didipio. Their claims seems at odds with the obvious benefits that those 1500 employed by OGC gain and their communities from the mining. Modern society is littered with examples where concern for the environment has become dominant and the financial livelihoods of people takes a distant second place in many cases. Bans on drilling for gas is another good example of where "green politics" has won over common sense.
    Duterte has a reputation for being supportive of the drive against the mining operations in the Philippines. Is he happy to have the FTAA delayed or is it a case as the article suggests that OGC has not quite got the correct steps in place.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OGC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.