SLX 1.13% $5.38 silex systems limited

Ann: Operational Update - 22 February 2024, page-5

1. zog
    2,924 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 881
    The aspiration to get NRC approval to load the TRL/6 prototype with UF6 also got my interest. What is going through my minds is:

1. The HALEU RFP is due back on 8 March - is the planned start of commissioning of the TRL/6 commissioning in early March (given NRC approval) anything to do with the delivery of the HALEU bid to the DoE on the 8th March coincidental? I doubt it.
    2. As I understand it GLE had "experimental" NRC approval for the "batch" test loop operations in the period 2012/13 - now GLE will be doing "continuous" process commissioning on the TRL/6 prototype - I assume that the 2012/13 NRC approval was not rescinded and that the current TRL/6 prototype is operation under the same "experimental" license; all that required is for the NRC to endorse that the current TRL/6 system is "safe" for loading UF6 (as Scaggs says "the glowing green stuff"
    3. As I understand it the prior "experimental license allowed (with approval of the NRC) operations up to 8% 235U enrichment (the old - now terminated Wilmington operating license was to 5% and needed special NRC permission for 8%. Whilst the operating license was terminated in 2021; the experimental license (from 2012/13) is likely to have the same enrichment constraints. Of course the NRC need to certify that the TRL/6 prototype can be loaded with the glowing green stuff but I presume the licence is the original "experimental" one
    4. My understanding is that an experimental license allow the operator (GLE) to produce up to 10kg as "samples"
    My questions are:

Is the loaded "glowing green stuff" feedstock for the TRL/6 prototype - tails, natural UF6 or 3.8% enriched UF6?

If the feedstock is natural UF6 or 3.8% enriched then the "samples" produced by the TRL/6 prototype could well be LEU+ (i.e up to 8% enriched UF6).

Production of "samples" of enriched product during the HALEU rfp evaluation period (guess 3 months) would give a real "leg up" to the GLE bid and not just Urenco a "run for their money" but also put a light under Centrus since it would significantly reduce the risk premium on a new enrichment process (this is likely to be our major negative and one exploited by our competition).

I would speculate that the test loop is currently at the centre of "vortex of interest" for the GLE scientists and engineers and once NRC approval is granted they will be working all hours to produce "samples" before the HALEU evaluation is completed - I can vouch that their is really no greater motivation of a technical team than "their technology" winning and being recognized (a bonus also helps) over "old technology" - IMO they will be working all hours to produce "samples" prior to the conclusion of the evaluation. No doubt a lot more commissioning with be required prior to an investment decision for the PLEF but DoE sponsorship would be a big leg up and bring to fruition "Kathryn Huff" (leader the DoE Office of Nuclear Energy)recent statement that "GLE could be a major player"

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SLX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.38
Change
0.060(1.13%)
Mkt cap ! $1.274B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.35 $5.46 $5.33 $2.712M 504.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 629 $5.34

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.38 6109 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SLX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.