IXC 2.86% 7.2¢ invex therapeutics ltd

I have done some research for my own purposes (but disclaimer: I...

1. 93 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    I have done some research for my own purposes (but disclaimer: I am not a tax agent and this is not tax/financial advice).

As far as I can tell, if you bought your shares for x cents per share then (assuming a 19c capital return):

(a) If x is greater than or equal to 19, your cost base reduces by 19c, but the capital return itself is not taxable and there are no franking credits (it is not a dividend); alternatively
    (b) If x is less than 19, then your cost base reduces to zero, and you would realise a capital gain of (19 - x) cents per share (which is logical because you would have locked in that gain, even if the shares would subsequently fall to zero - note that I am not saying that this is likely but rather I am using that as a scenario to illustrate the point)

The following is an example which I found (albeit from a while back, and I cannot guarantee that the treatment has not changed):

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Events-affecting-shareholders/Promina-Group-Limited-(Promina)-return-of-capital/?page=3

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IXC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
7.2¢
Change
0.002(2.86%)
Mkt cap ! $5.411M
Open High Low Value Volume
7.2¢ 7.2¢ 7.2¢ $1.701K 23.62K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 76375 7.2¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
8.0¢ 5000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.42pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
IXC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.