MMM 18.0% 3.2¢ marley spoon se

For what it’s worth, I sold out of my residual MMM holding first...

1. 1,490 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1355

For what it’s worth, I sold out of my residual MMM holding first thing this morning.

Things that didn’t sit well with me in this quarterly result included:

1. Contribution Margins dropping sharply, with lots of references to cost pressures being made during yesterday’s call.
    2. Margin deterioration also apparently driven by changes in the sales mix, with lower-cost options (e.g. Dinnerly) representing a larger slice of the revenue pie.
    3. Marketing costs spiking to 20% of Revenue, with no simultaneous upgrade to CY21 revenue guidance (why, if “maintenance” spending is purportedly only 10% of Revenue?)
    4. G&A costs spiking to 19% of Revenue
    5. Growth spending and Capex funded with high-interest debt as opposed to cash flow (which is what had been previously stated at the last Capital Markets day).

My original investment thesis for MMM envisaged a company capable of generating ~100mA$ of EBIT by CY23. While further revenue growth from here is a distinct possibility, and while costs may indeed stabilise at lower levels as a % of revenue, there were too many red flags for me in this result relative to that aspirational EBIT target: even in a best-case scenario, there seems to be a clear intention from Management to run the company for growth as opposed to profit for the foreseeable future.

Based on the above, I consider my milestones breached and therefore I’m out. Good luck to all holders.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MMM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.2¢
Change
-0.007(18.0%)
Mkt cap ! $3.767M
Open High Low Value Volume
4.0¢ 4.0¢ 3.2¢ $33 1.025K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 150000 3.4¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
4.0¢ 63515 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
3.3¢
  Change
-0.007 ( 17.5 %)
Open High Low Volume
3.9¢ 3.9¢ 3.3¢ 26075
Last updated 15.17pm 03/05/2024 ?
MMM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.