CAI 0.00% 11.5¢ calidus resources limited

Really appreciate the back and forth between some posters here...

1. 44 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35

Really appreciate the back and forth between some posters here over the years - some insightful points from both sides and interesting to read the conclusions being drawn around our current station.

At risk of missing out on all the fun, I feel obliged to try and reciprocate by highlighting some pertinent factors which led me to my decision. This isn't an attempt to down-ramp, simply a summary and evaluation of my thoughts/actions:

After trying to rationalise holding on for dear life, I've mostly sold out throughout the week after accumulating over the past few years. Really disappointing as I had high hopes for the company but I need to focus on capital preservation at this point - some good lessons learnt, something around counting eggs?

For me, I see the short-term outlook as extremely weak and the longer-term outlook as challenging - this deterioration fundamentally changes my investment thesis:

Short-term outlook = Extremely weak

• Debt repayment will be ultimate priority -expect Macquarie to be circling…
    • Hedge book accounts for 75% of sales - muted benefits from high current POG and very slim margins at upper end of AISC guidance
    • Operational issues (obviously..). I'm less concerned that they encountered issues when developing a plant/mine - my concern is the loss of management credibility, given the guidance and indications we were presented with late last year. I now find myself taking CAI's recent assessment of issues and their severity with a grain of salt, whereas previously their track record warranted them more leeway/confidence (so I thought)

Long-term outlook = Challenging

• Original thesis was CAI would have an efficient and profitable mine, providing them with the FCF to pursue the additional growth projects they have available to them.
    • This was where I saw the value to be, beyond the standard bounty for commissioning a successful project. They have plenty of appetizing growth options (Warrawoona expansion, Lithium, M&A), which all stem from having a productive cornerstone asset.

The product of this is a drastically changed risk/reward proposition:

• Downside risk is large, with losing everything a distinct possibility
    • Reward is now limited, given substantially lower margin received across LOM (based on current evidence)

Moving forward, I will keep an eye on how things develop. I do subscribe to the belief that DR may be giving very conservative estimates this time around, after looking foolishly over-confident late last year given the findings in this quarterly. I do feel for DR - everything was going swimmingly, right until it wasn't!

Good luck to all - been a hell of a ride!

Last edited by overjumped: 03/02/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CAI (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.