ATU 0.00% 0.5¢ atrum coal limited

I'm with Tarzan on this one. Not sure what the fixation is with...

1. 75 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 12
    I'm with Tarzan on this one. Not sure what the fixation is with Kuro when the main game is and always has been Groundhog. The Board and operational team assembled at Atrum for Groundhog is second to none for a company of this size and in this commodity. Groundhog is far more progressed than Kuro and the Board and operational team has far more depth and experience. Look at today's announcement alone if you want further clarification on that. I might be wrong on Kuro and happy to be wrong on Kuro as long as I'm right on Groundhog!

If you don't know who George Edwards is from today's announcement, then read a brief bio below. One would say another great addition to the team.

Does anyone know what you get when you combine a world class team with a world class asset?

——————————————————————————–
    George Edwards

George began his professional career at Port Kembla Steel Works with BHP, as have many of us, where he worked in coal and coke research while undertaking his degree in metallurgy at the University of New South Wales. He has pursued this line of endeavour ever since.

George had the uncanny gift of being outstanding at what ever he did and it was no surprise that he should move to the Joint Coal Board where his skills and knowledge were displayed on a wider horizon. He broadened his perspective with the completion of a Management Certificate at Sydney Technical College and in due course, added to his scrap-book, the position of ‘Chief of Marketing’ at the JCB, where he was instrumental in generating, for the first time, a compendium of coal quality data which serves today as a comprehensive and reliable reference manual of coal seam quality data. During this time he undertook a high profile marketing role to promote Australian coals in the international market.

Throughout this time he was shaping the infant beginnings of the Coal Preparation Society of New South Wales in his roles of Secretary and Chairman. This work was crucial, as a dedicated committee struggled with scant resources and even fewer funds. Nevertheless, through his leadership and the high regard in which he was held, a respected society was born. In his role as the Society representative on the International Coal Preparation Congress Committee he presented an overwhelming argument, for Australia to host the highly successful Seventh International Coal Preparation Congress in Sydney in 1976. Under his chairmanship this congress was remarkable in several ways – it was the first time the congress had been held outside the northern hemisphere and it set a new high standard by which following congresses have been measured ever since. It was during this time that I worked closely with him and I observed his drive, planning ability and execution of a massive undertaking. He was generous with his time and used his professional contacts at industry and government levels for the advancement of society objectives.

It was not surprising that Jack Bennett, who was then Chief Executive of Coal and Allied, targeted George and whisked him away to join C&A in a senior marketing role, later to become chief of marketing. George was instrumental in securing new coking coal markets which laid the foundations for the evolution of Hunter Valley No1 and developed steaming coal markets in the power utilities in Europe. The C&A / Ube Industries bond was considered to have been built on the respect earned by George in his dealings with the Japanese and in particular that company.

Yet another coup saw George enticed away to be appointed Chief Executive of the Consolidated Coal Company of USA which made a short foray into the New South Wales coal industry.

In 1985 he incorporated George Edwards Consulting Services Pty. Ltd. which provides consulting services in coal utilization and marketing to clients both here and abroad. This business has been built on expertise and the high personal regard in which he is held in the industry.

George’s contributions have extended beyond his business and this Society. For the sake of brevity I shall touch on a few. He has been a director of Savage Resources Ltd and Sabre Resources NL. He has maintained an active voluntary involvement with Standards Australia where he led in the development of coal testing and coal preparation standards, many of which have been adopted by the International Standards Organization. His work has led to his elevation to Fellow of the Institutes of Energy both in the UK and Australia and to avoid the risk of boredom he served in advisory roles to the School of Mines and the School of Mining Engineering within the University of New South Wales.

George was instrumental in establishing a strong link between this Society and the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy in which he served as Sydney Branch Chairman, finally culminating in his election as National President of this august body in 1995.

There is little doubt that the high regard in which this Society is held today, is due in large part to his professional zeal, his foresight and willing service

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ATU (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.